Sunday 20 March 2011

Strawberries with cream!!!

It had been a very tiring day for him. He felt sleepy but he had to go.
He wasn't exactly into Hindustani music but he loved her, and she was to perform tonight.

The show ended with the Bhairavi and curtains fell with the applause. He got up and marched backstage. He found her getting redressed in the green room. He went behind her, held her in his embrace. She turned around after looking at him in the mirror. He kissed her on the forehead.

She asked him, "How was it? Which part did you like the most?"
He couldn't answer at once, but before he could, she caught him.
"You dozed off. Right? I knew that it was a waste of effort to call you for the show. You'll never understand the talent I've got. Perhaps you should have seen the faces of the mesmerised audience. But how would you see? You were busy dreaming!"
He interrupted her, "Why don't we go to some restaurant and talk? You must be hungry."
But she had not finished yet. "So now the sleep has made you hungry! And why do you want to take the argument before the public, at some restaurant?"
"I am not arguing, dear." He said quietly.
He was trapped again. "Yeah. I am the one who is! What d'you think? You think it's you who's keeping our marriage intact and I am responsible for it's sourness?"
"I didn't say anything even closer to that."
"You know what your problem is? You wont say a thing! You wont help, wont appreciate, wont even make an effort to do so!"
He remained silent. Okay, he might've dozed off, but she should've realized that he was deprieved of proper rest. The music moreover proved to soothen his mind. He now reiterated his "less" interest in classical music.
She seemed to have anticipated this reason. "Great! So that explains it all! You aren't fond of it, you wont appreciate it."
He felt the need to interrupt. "If I'd lied and said that I enjoyed it, you'd have been more angry and I know that you'd have guessed that I lied. God, I really don't understand women!"
"Women?" She snapped at him. "Which all women do you fail to understand? And what d'you think, I like to watch your dumb polo games? I dont find them exciting too. More than the game, what women wear seems to be a topic of greater interest there. But have I ever complained? I never failed to praise your game. So what if I don't like the game, I love you and I want you to be happy! But men will remain to be men!!!"

She walked off.
By the time he was jolted to reality, she'd left the room. He ran out on the road. He saw her board a cab and it drove off. He realized how biased the world was! A beautiful, young woman could get a cab without and efforts even at 11 in the night.

He walked towards the parking. Sat in the car for a second before putting in the keys. He took the car to the nearest fresh mart, went in and came out with fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream. He had a mild smile on his lips.

Life was "Strawberries with cream". Strawberries could be sour and tangy, but the creamy moments made it worth living!!!

3 comments:

  1. It was good....
    dialogues by that lady are nicely written....
    ending is very fast and abrupt acc to me....but still a very good read....
    pleasantly charming...keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. great...
    'But men will remain to be men!!!'...lol, how many times I've heard that!...you could have elaborated the end a little...i mean little more descriptive...the situation was put down nicely...buddy, it was great, joy to read...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end was deliberately kept abrupt. It was indicative that the nice moments are very short-lived most of the times. Yet we live with expectations that they'll come!!!

    ReplyDelete